The art of the silent scream.

This is what I hate about knitting as compared to crochet.  With crochet if I make a mistake I just grab the yarn, pull it until it unravels back to where the mistake is, pick up the loop and carry on.  Yes, it's infuriating sometimes if I have to go back several rows, but not unrecoverable by any means.

Knitting on the other hand... once I mess something up, once I drop a stitch or inadvertently stitch two together where I shouldn't - as soon as that happens the whole thing morphs together into a mess of tangled yarn in front of my eyes, and none of the tutorials I've found on how to un-do mess-ups make any sense because all I can see is a mess of yarn - I can't see what the tutorial tells me I should be able to see, and at that point all is lost.  I've just frogged a whole evening's work on the scarf in a fit of frustrated temper and I'm back to needing to cast on again (for the 7th time) because of this.

I can't see that I'm ever going to be able to complete a project of any size as long as this keeps happening, as long as from my perspective a mistake of any kind is unrecoverable.

Comments

  1. Yes yes yes couldn't agree more!! I love crochet when I can happily unravel it & you are always left with a loop, you know where you are, with knitting I am always terrified of dropping a stitch or getting it wrong and having to undo it. I'm on my third project now on circular needles - fingers crossed so far so good, but yesterday I veerrrry slowly unravelled a row one stitch at a time and managed to find the original stitches. Best of luck, if I find any tips I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're doing better than me! I've had to stop with the knitting for the time being otherwise I shall never finish the crochet project I'm working on. Good luck with yours, do let me know if you find any tips, at the moment I'm grateful for all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts